The Many Benefits of Thermofoil Cabinetry
Are you considering a Thermofoil cabinet as an option in your next kitchen or bathroom renovation? Thermofoil cabinets are made using a flexible vinyl material that is applied by heating the vinyl and molding it over medium-density fiberboard (MDF) or engineered wood. Thermofoil has come a long way in recent years and offers many benefits to consumers who are looking for a product with good quality, durability and versatility. Here are some reasons that Thermofoil has become a great alternative to wood and laminate.
Moisture resistant : In a high humidity location wood and laminate can warp and expand over time, whereas a Thermofoil cabinet is unaffected. It is the perfect choice for a busy bathroom or kitchen.
Easy to clean and low maintenance : Thermofoil is stain resistant and easy to wipe clean with a damp cloth. It stands up to the wear and tear of a busy family and doesn’t lose it’s lustre after frequent washing, as solid wood can.
Lots of options : Wood grains, bold colours, textured surfaces, patterns…there are a ton of options to choose from and you can mix and match to create the style that suits your home. Combine the Thermofoil wrap of your choice with the cut and style of door that you want. Your options are endless.
Great price : Compared to wood, Thermofoil is easier on the budget, but you can get the same high end look. Also, do you want to change the look of your kitchen, without changing the layout? Thermofoil offers the option of updating your look by adding new doors to the existing cabinet boxes, which is far less expensive than a whole kitchen overhaul, and is less work than a DIY job of stripping and refinishing existing doors.
Durability : Thermofoil is resistant to scratches and dents, and can look brand new for many years. Are you looking to upgrade cabinets in a rental property or high traffic space? Consider Thermofoil as an option for a product that will require little maintenance for years to come.
How To Replace Your Old Kitchen Doors With Thermofoil Doors.
- Does your kitchen have adjustable cam hinges? See the picture below.
- What colour of kitchen doors are you changing to? You can see the colours we carry here. Or make an appointment to see a salesperson at the Ballycastle showroom. Store hours 9 am – 4pm at 815 Dugald road
- Measure your doors and drawers. Fill out the door order form for a price on doors and finished end panels. Send the door list to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop by the shop.
- Please have time in your day to experience Cherie’s Discovery Tours how to make Thermofoil Doors. Its amazing,
- Put your name on your old doors, take all hardware off doors and bring them to the shop Ballycastle 815 Dugald road
- Professional Cabinet makers will measure your doors and make you a new Thermofoil door . The cabinetmaker will drill holes for your hinges in your new door. This process takes 2-4 weeks.
How To Get Started With Replacing Your Kitchen
Here is a brief overview of the process of getting started with your kitchen.
- Measure your kitchen, starting with the space available on the West, East, South and North walls. A diagram can be found here.
- Measure any windows and doors from outside casing or trim to outside casing or trim.
- Measure your appliance sizes. Remember to include fridge, stove, dishwasher and microwave.
- Size of sink; is it double or single?
- What’s on your wishlist? All drawers, spice pullout, garbage pull out?
- Take a look at our colour gallery to select a few favourites. You can find it here.
- What type of countertop are you considering? Options are laminate, quartz or granite.
- Come on down to the Ballycastle showroom. Hours are 9-4 Mon-Fri and by appointment during the evening and weekends.
- Cherie Michaud will give you the Discovery channel Tour “HOW QUALITY CABINETS ARE BUILT”
- Marcel Michaud will draw up your kitchen on a 20/20 Design Kitchen program where you can see your kitchen come to life!
Ballycastle is a one stop shop, performing all manufacturing in one location. We are proud of the quality and durability of our Thermofoil products, and therefore we are confident in providing an excellent warranty.
Lifetime warranty on manufactured defects of cabinetry if installed by Ballycastle.
5 year warranty on delamination of glue.
Ballycastle’s customers also enjoy the lifetime benefit of having any damaged doors replaced at cost from Ballycastle.
How To Take Care Of Thermofoil Doors
Do you you want your kitchen to look brand new, even years down the road? Care and maintenance of your Thermofoil cabinets couldn’t be easier.
To clean the Thermofoil cabinets simply use regular dish detergent with a de-greaser, like Palmolive, and luke warm water. No special soaps or cleaners required!
Heat or steam will melt doors or cause de-lamination over time. Sources of steam, like a kettle or a toaster oven should be positioned away from thermofoil cabinetry. Use an exhaust fan to reduce the direct contact of steam with cabinetry.
Pull the toaster to the front edge of the counter top when in use. This will eliminate the risk of vinyl door melting.
Ballycastle recommends the installation of heat shields on cabinets beside stoves to prevent vinyl shrinking.
Caution: As typical stove self cleaning cycles run at very high temperatures, a malfunctioning stove door gaskets will cause damage in all types of cabinetry.
What does it look like when Vinyl is melted???
The vinyl shrinks and the mdf will be exposed. When the vinyl protrudes out in a convex way on a door, there is typically a small heat source from a window or crystal acting as a magnifier.